Wednesday, July 1, 2015

2015 is Half Over!

It's really hard to fathom that 2015 is half over!  This year has definitely gone faster than any that I can remember.  I thought I'd take the time to give a little Whole30 update.  This little blog is definitely not a diet blog, nor am I a diet expert.  I'm just sharing some things I've learned the last 6 months.

I started my first Whole30 on January 1, 2015.  In the beginning, it was hard.  Very hard!  But each day got a little easier, and I really feel like the first 30 days weren't all that bad.  I tried to take a weekend off and quickly realized how much I liked the restrictive parts of Whole30.  It gets easier to say no to food. (something I thought I'd never say)

I pretty much stuck to the Whole30 plan until after the Indy Mini Marathon.  Oddly enough, this was the first marathon that I experienced leg/calf cramps.  Around mile 12 I thought I was done for it.  I couldn't walk.  I had just passed a medical tent and thought about trying to crawl back to it.  I stopped, tried to stretch, almost cried, stretched some more, then thankfully they went away.  I don't know why I got them and haven't experienced them since then.

After the marathon, I decided to add hummus to my every day eating.  I love hummus so much, and I was so thankful to have it back in my life!  So right now I describe my diet as Whole30 plus hummus!  Also on the weekends, I take a night (sometimes two!) and have a treat.  I've tried the Arctic Zero ice creams (yuck), Halo Top ice creams (yummy), M&Ms on my popcorn (our family movie night treat), and I even had a Dairy Queen Jurassic Smash Blizzard after a co-worker raved about them (delicious).  Eating treats definitely makes me want more treats, but so far I have been able to wake up the next day and eat healthy again.  I plan to do this until my birthday when I get myself a big ol' cake and maybe eat the whole thing!  Then I think after I turn 41, I'll do another serious Whole30 with no weekend treats.  That's my plan for now.

No comments: